Northumberland United Way is celebrating the 2nd annual ‘Local Love Week,’ officially proclaimed by Northumberland County Council from October 4 – 9, 2021.
This is a week, led by Northumberland United Way, to celebrate the hardworking non-profit organizations in our community that have continued to work tirelessly to support those in need during the COVID-19 pandemic. Over the past 18 months, these organizations, their employees, and volunteers have stepped up to support our community members during some of their most challenging moments.
“Together, we delivered food to parents struggling to feed their children, provided an emergency shelter for those without a safe home, and offered mental health support for individuals most impacted by isolation and physical distancing measures,” says Bobbie Dawson, CEO, Northumberland United Way. “Behind these actions are real people, like Steve, who leaned on the support of United Way and our community partners, and we couldn’t do this without the generosity of our community.”
How can you celebrate Local Love Week?
- Join our virtual Seeing is Believing tour on Tuesday, October 5 at 11 a.m. to see the impact of your donations and hear from United Way, Community Care, and WrapAround Northumberland to learn more about their organizations and how United Way donors have supported their clients.
Join on Zoom.
- Tune in for our 2nd annual Radiothon on Thursday, October 7 presented by My Broadcasting Corporation and live on Classic Rock 107.9, 93.3 myFM, and Brighton Oldies. Thank you to our sponsors Cobourg Auto Collision, Assured Auto Repair, Karen Chalovich – BMO Nesbitt Burns and Hoover’s Home Energy Inc. Heating & Air Conditioning.
- Make a financial donation. You can donate online at
- Donate food or other in-kind products
- Volunteer your time (if you’re able to)
- Share an act of kindness
- Reach out to someone who may be feeling disconnected or ask a loved one how they are feeling
- Continue to practice physical distancing to keep our community safe
“We are also thrilled to announce a $20,000 matching gift that will launch on Thursday to coincide with our Radiothon generously donated by the Farren Family. All dollars donated will be matched to double the impact of your donation. We are so grateful to the Farren Family for this incredible gift,” says Bobbie.
Local Love Week is an opportunity to encourage all Northumberland County residents to come together and give back in a way that is personally meaningful for them. This could be through a financial or product donation, by volunteering your time, or with acts of kindness, big and small.
“The pandemic has affected us all, but for those experiencing homelessness, food insecurity, and mental health challenges, it has created an extra strain on an already tough situation. It’s our hope that Local Love Week will serve as a reminder of the incredibly supportive and loving community we live in,” says Bobbie.
Join our mailing list!
We believe in the power of good news to inspire our community, and love to share exciting updates and impact stories with you.